Thursday, November 20, 2008

It's a whole new Wegmans

Howdy,
Not much new at the ranch. My mother is, at this moment, surfing through every single channel we have to find the NFL channel. We have digital cable. She's going to be at this a while. My parent's took me to Wegman's today. I rode around on one of those scooters. I felt so sheepish about it that I periodically made a point of getting out with obvious discomfort. Wegman's looks very different from the lower vantage. Everyone appeared to be wandering around like zombies. Amazing how many people looked like they had no idea where they were. And yes, many of them ran into me. You're there to shop people.

As promised, the updates first before the mindless drivel. Alain is leaving tomorrow afternoon for Philadelphia to run a marathon. Sam and Adam will be duly entertained by Molly and her Mom on Saturday. We'll be hanging out on Sunday and the kids will have to miss Hebrew school but life will go on. The only thing I'd need on Sunday is a shout out from someone to let me know I could call if we needed something. I can't drive yet.

Well, Franny never found the NFL channel. Apparently we don't have it. Franny is bitter.

In other news, I'm feeling well. The ostomy is doing it's thing. I imagine some of you think that I might be feeling a little (oh gosh, do you think she's really going to say it?) bummed out about the appliance (of course I have no shame!). Honestly, with all the surgery and radiation I've had it's a relief to have it in the bag. Besides for someone as fascinated by the digestive process as me it's not a bad fit.

You know I originally wanted to be a gastroenterologist. Something about being very pregnant while I was interviewing put a damper on the whole thing. My mother urged me to consider immunology. That decision took about 10 seconds. Never looked back.

I think my interest in going into GI started to get serious right before medical school. I had lunch with my mother in the doctor's lunch room one afternoon. There were a few attendings in the room and once they found out I was about to start medical school they all started to spout off about their chosen fields. I think it was Dr. Nordgren, the pediatric neurologist who argued that if you don't have a neural net there's not much worth bothering about. A pulmonologist suggested that if one couldn't perfuse there was nothing to talk about either. A few other candidates made their own suggestions. Dr. Cimis, the gastroenterologist was busy shoveling in his lunch. He lifted his head for a moment and proclaimed "Look, if you can't take a good shit life isn't worth living!" then resumed his lunch.

That ended the conversation and I believed I had found my people.

All for now,
Dr. Bif

No comments: