Friday, November 21, 2008

All quiet on the western front...

Nothing new to report today.

Alain has set off for Philadelphia. He says he doesn't know how he's going to do. However he hasn't been too crabby lately, a sure sign of pre-race jitters so I expect he'll do well. We think he's got the tallest French-Canadian category nailed down.

My folks and I went out for lunch today. I was watching Bizarre Foods last night and told my Dad the soup they were describing (Vietnamese pho-a noodle soup made with beef and beef "parts") was actually delicious and I knew where to get him a bowl. This tells you a lot about my Dad. I personally admire someone who is not only willing but interested in trying a food he has only seen on a TV show with the word "bizarre" in the title. I'm the same way. Assuming something is edible, I'll eat anything once.

My mother was not such an easy sell. She has a hard time with things that slither or look like they do. However the more I waxed on about how good this soup is the more irritated she became and finally said: Ok, I'm coming. Really this stuff is good. It's rice noodles with beef broth seasoned with cilantro, thai basil and cilantro. You add lime juice and chili sauce. They bring a massive portion to you and so far I have not mastered the art of eating those long noodles out of a soup bowl without getting it all over myself. I love the stuff. Why it was featured on Bizarre Foods is because the native version frequently has stomach, liver and other parts in it. This was much tamer with just a tiny bit of tripe (yes, that's the stomach). Mom and Dad got the chicken version (pansies!). I think they liked it but can't see what all the fuss is about. Frankly I can't see what all the fuss is about caviar.

Really now, caviar is just salty and crunchy. Big deal. Sure I'll eat it on blini with a little sour cream but I won't pay hundreds of dollars for it. Frankly I won't pay hundreds of dollars for any single item that I am planning on putting in my mouth.


Dr. Bif

1 comment:

Kristen said...

yummm! where do you like to go for pho???