Thursday, January 21, 2010

All quiet here

Hello,
Not much to report.  My labs look good so I can continue with the new chemo as planned for tomorrow.  Oh joy.  I feel a bit like a bull that was just fatted up for the sacrifice tomorrow.  That's a bit dramatic; I'm just not looking forward to feeling crappy.  They are better about getting pain medicine into me than I would be taking it at home so it'll be fine.

Last night I talked about food with a patient care tech who grew up out in the country in Georgia.  Her mother used to send them out to the field to pick greens and vegetables for dinner.  They would bring in summer squash, okra and half ripe tomatoes which Mom would coat in corn meal and fry.  Sounds great, especially the tomato.  Sometimes the green ones taste better than the red ones to me.  Kind of like a sweet eggplant without the bitterness.  Ann also waxed prophetic about greens.  Huge pots of greens cooked with some kind of smoked meat.  The greens would become tender only after a couple hours but as a child she and her sisters ate those huge pots full.  Nobody gets and expression like on Ann's face about Lunchables, let me tell ya.

I grew up in NH.  I ate like royalty growing up as you've heard from tales of Granny Franny but I didn't eat that food.  Southern food has become the "it" cuisine now.  All the cooking magazines have recipes for pulled pork and fried green tomatoes.  Here's another good one from Ann: cornbread with pork cracklings crumbled in.  I can't eat any of that stuff now.  I can cook the greens when I get home and drink that cooking liquid called "pot liquor."  It's dark and tastes of minerals.  Can't wait.

I'm going to torture myself with another cooking magazine now and dream of spring eating.

Beth

2 comments:

jane_auger@pobox.com said...

Ask Ann about New Year's food traditions in the south. We make Hoppin' John from a recipe from Verda Mae Grosvenor from NPR: black-eyed peas with Sausage represent coins, greens represent green folding money, and cornbread for gold...

Craig said...

This is good also. Let me know when you are ready and I'll drop off a batch.
Hoppin Juan
(a modified Hoppin John)


1 lb dried black eye peas
1 pork wing (forearm left over from pig roast)
1 C chopped onion
4 cloves minced garlic
2 celery stalks
½ red pepper
½ green pepper
1 chipolte pepper
1 T Sauzon Completa
½ t salt
¼ ground pepper

Prep:
make the peas per instruction on bag

Put all ingredients in crock pot. Add water. Put crock on high for a few hours.

Make cornbread

Can serve with rice, spinach or other greens and beer.