Monday, February 8, 2010

Radio silence...

I was pretty quiet last week.  At home I wasn't feeling well.  I had  a good reason.  I was working on getting my potassium dangerously low and dehydrated.  My buddy Ann took me in last Thursday to get those problems fixed.

I need a quick procedure today for the kidney tubes and I may go home later or tomorrow.

We are good with food right now.  When I'm home I may need some folks to drop by and check on me.  I am craving, craving, craving a bowl of raisin bran.  It was a staple of my childhood.  Like some Japanese foods there is a ceremony and certain way of eating raisin bran.  Most school mornings and definitely before any swim meet I performed the Raisin Bran Ritual.

Choose a large bowl with sloping sides.  Put in at least 2 servings full, less if a parent is watching.  Add some sugar but take care that it not go all the way down into the flakes.  The majority should sit like snow on Mt. Kilimanjaro.  Your choice of milk is very important.  It determines the experience you will have.  You can have any kind of milk but be aware of the different texture and flavor each type (skim, 2% or whole) will create.

Choose a medium sized spoon that is not too wide.  It must be large enough to gather many flakes but you should not have milk dribbling on your chin.  This is not proper.  Gather the flakes from the sides of the bowl using as little milk to eat as possible.  Avoid the raisins.  You may eat one or two raisins every 4th bite.  You may also consume some of the sugared flakes which takes skill so as not to pour the sugar off into the bowl.  Feel the sugar crunch with the flake in your mouth.

As you approach the bottom you will have mostly milk and raisins.  It is time to dive for mussels.  Scoop out as many raisins as you can and eat them in one mouthful.  Note the firm texture of the raisins has softened up ever so slightly with the milk.  When you have finished the raisins you may now pick up the bowl, swirl any sugar to dissolve and gulp the sweet milk.  You are done.

Now go!  I have no more time for your impertinence.  We will eat of the Kellogs when you are ready.  You have much to learn, young grasshopper.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Who knew there was a whole ritual to eating Raisin Bran? It turns out that all these years I've been doing it wrong!
Here's to getting home quickly!
I'm missing you at Hebrew school. We'll be baking hamentaschen again on 2/23, and I'm remembering that you were the expert dough roller last year.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth,
Drop an email if you'd like a knitter or two to stop by and keep you company for a little while. We all missed you at the Guild last night. We were our usual naughty selves, chatting during the program...
Dina

Anonymous said...

Did you get the DVDs I sent to your house?

Jane

Unknown said...

Wow, what an art form! I hope you are feeling better and finishing the cable nightmare!