Monday, December 8, 2008

New York, New York it's a hell of a town...

Hi Gang,
Back from the big city. Two and a half days in Manhattan have cured any illusions I have about channeling one of the Sex and the City girls. I can't handle bumper to bumper traffic at 11pm on a Saturday night! I am absolutely not kidding when I tell you that walking down 5th avenue around midtown was like trying to get to the bar at an Irish wake (I may be Jewish but I'm part Irish too lest you find that insulting).

Ok, now the news. I saw the doc at Sloan Kettering. I saw him initially for a second opinion last year. He offered me a spot in a clinical trial this time. If I am randomized to the study drug I would be taking a pill every day and going to Sloan for weekly visits (hello frequent flier miles). The other arm of the study is a chemo regimen that is much nicer than what my local doc suggested. Just horrible rashes and cardiotoxicity, no biggie, right? I find out on Wednesday which arm of the study I will be randomized to. Cross your fingers everyone. Cross your toes, your legs and your eyes. Think happy thoughts. I want that cool new drug that could make this go away.

Katie and I made a weekend of it. We stayed at Le Parker Meridien and paid an exhorbitant amount for a room. The bed was a little slice of heaven though. We ate at the Modern at the Museum of Modern Art. Very pricey. Very good. Katie and I split a half bottle of the best french chardonnay I've ever had. Their cosmos left a little to be desired though. Pretty much straight vodka with the Cointreau and cranberry just waived over the glass. Why do I talk about booze so much? I confess, I love cocktails. I like the history of the recipes, the different glasses, the big shakers, the sense of festivity it lends even to a dinner at home (let's face it, having a glass of wine from a half drunk bottle isn't all that exciting). Lest you all think this is an AA blog I dislike getting really trashed. Ugh. Hangovers are just brutal with me. My intestines pay the price and I just want to be taken out back and shot. I won't lie, it's not like I've never tied one on. I've got a good hangover story but I'll save that for another time.

So back to Manhattan. We ate expensive food and then we went to the expensive spa. Everyone should have a massage and a facial once in their lives. Every person on the planet needs one. If we had just sent Arafat and Sharon to the spa together the middle east wouldn't be such a mess. You can't be pissed off at anyone when all your muscle fibers are simultaneously saying, "aahh!"

Now I have some friends who are very concerned about that particular issue so I'm gonna just back off...

Before I sign off for the day I want to thank everyone so much for all the kind thoughts and deeds. Somehow I feel funny putting your names down here but you know who you are. Thank you for the flowers, cards, little gifts, donations in my name and food. It has all meant a tremendous amount to me. Hey, my family has to do this kind of thing; you don't. I am very grateful to have so many friends and I love you all. This blog thing feels very self-centered. I'm enjoying writing the stories and at some point I'll stop updating you all on the cancer thing because I don't want that to become the focus of my life. We all have crap to deal with. Mine just lends itself to drama. My recovery is going well and if there is something I can do for you please let me know. It'll feel good to get my life back into balance. Right now everything seems to tip towards me. God knows we don't need to make me any more of a ham than I already am.

Last thing, if you leave a comment on the blog and don't put your name down I have no idea who you are!

Dr. Bif

1 comment:

meyers family said...

Beth,
Feel free to call Steven for Tuesday IHSC carpool.
Hoping for the "good" arm of the RCT.
I love your blog (or as a friend considered calling his cancer blog a CLOG).
Barbara